Our Sensory Courtyard allows people to explore and learn both about their senses and about nature. It is well known that exploring nature can help with your sensory development, and that the senses of touch, taste, smell and hearing can be heightened when you interact with nature and the environment around you. The Sensory Courtyard provides a safe, non-threatening environment in which individuals can feel free to explore and express themselves.
Some of the benefits are listed below:
- Aids the development of motor skills, including hand-eye coordination
- Supports cognitive/intellectual development, including problem solving, memory and language
- Improves the individual’s ability to interact, communicate and share with others
- Increases confidence and helps the individual develop a strong sense of empowerment
- Helps individuals with sensory disorders to develop or reactivate their remaining senses
- Stimulates the sensory neurons, helping people develop their sense of cause and effect
- Helps individuals get back in touch with nature, nurturing a sense of calm and relaxation
- Can be used as a coping strategy, improving mental, emotional and physical well-being in the long term
- Resolves negative thoughts and feelings, including anxiety and fear
- Heightens awareness (AKA mindfulness), enabling individuals to get the most out of life
- Heightens focus and concentration
- Promotes creativity
We would like to give a special thanks to our volunteer Anna who came up with the wonderful idea and put so much time and hard work in getting the courtyard opened for our clients’ sensory needs
Don’t forget to avail of this calm relaxing space the next time you visit us at Clonmel Osteopaths.